Passing On



Brooklyn Carib leader Abdul-Akbar, 55
New York, August 22nd 2008: Popular Brooklyn-based community leader Amir Abdullah Muhammed Abdul-Akbar has died after a short battle with cancer. He was 55.
Akbar, executive director of the Caribbean American Program for Empowerment, succumbed at 9:04 p.m. Thursday, colleagues said.
"It is with profound sadness that we mourn the passing of our friend Amir Abdul-Akbar," said Borough President Marty Markowitz.
"His selfless work went well beyond the good he did here and in his home nation of Jamaica. He was an international humanitarian who put the needs and concerns of others over his own."
Abdul-Akbar was born in Jamaica, where he was an imam for 15 years before coming to the U.S. in 1979. He often appealed for Muslims and members of other faiths to be tolerant of each other to sustain the spirit of peace.
In 1995, he co-founded CAPE to help foster economic and social growth among people in the Caribbean region and in Brooklyn.
He recently was honored for his charitable works by Jamaican Prime Minister Bruce Golding, who awarded him the Order of Jamaica national award.
A Muslim service for Abdul-Akbar was held Friday at the Masjid Kalifa Mosque in Brooklyn.
A memorial service will be held at a later date.

Antigua-Barbuda loses an influential former minister and trade unionist
ST JOHN'S, Antigua, Aug. 20, 2008: Antigua and Barbuda has lost one of its influential leaders, Joseph Meyers, a former minister of government, a trade unionist, deputy governor and deputy governor general, who died at his home in Parham. He was 95 and had battled Alzheimer's for more than ten years.
Meyers was the parliamentary representative for St Peter and never lost his seat during the period of seeking to represent the people of his constituency in the House of Representatives.
The Antigua Sun reported that Meyers, during his tenure in government, served at various times as Minister of Education and Minister of Agriculture. He also served as minister with responsibility for public utilities and communication.
The former Antigua Labour Party (ALP) politician also served as the governor's deputy and later as the governor general's deputy.
ALP deputy leader, Gaston Browne said Meyers was one of the stalwarts of the party and has made a significant contribution to the development of Antigua and Barbuda.

Jamaican Music Legend Is Dead
CaribWorldNews, NEW YORK, NY, Weds. Aug. 20, 2008: Legendary Jamaican trumpeter Johnny Moore, founder of influential reggae band The Skatalites, has died.
Moore reportedly passed away in Jamaica after battling cancer. He was 70.
Moore formed The Skatalites in 1964 with saxophonists Tommy McCook and Roland Alphonso and trombonist Don Drummond. The band only lasted 14 months, but it had a lasting influence on jazz, movie soundtracks and popular music, particular the ska brand of pop that brought success to bands 311, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and No Doubt.
'He was the most creative of the trumpeters from the ska period,' commented music promoter Herbie Miller. 'He was always willing to try different things.'

'She served her country with pride and distinction'
Kingston, Jamaica, August 15, 2008: Jamaica's first female ambassador, the late Carmen Parris, was on Wednesday hailed as a pioneer, who not only placed service before self, but was an individual who discharged her responsibilities with unrelenting commitment, unquestionable integrity and faith.
According to Minister of Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade, Dr Kenneth Baugh, Parris was among a group of pioneers who was given the responsibility of helping to craft and implement the foreign policy of "our newly independent state".
Pallbearers carry the casket of former Ambassador Carmen Parris out of the St Andrew Parish Church, Half-Way-Tree, on Wednesday. (Photo: Lionel Rookwood)
"Those who had the privilege of serving with her have spoken highly of her integrity and professionalism," Dr Baugh said.
Dr Baugh, along with other Government officials, family, friends and well-wishers paid their last respects to Parris at a funeral service at the St Andrew Parish Church in Half-Way-Tree.
Parris, 81, died on July 29 at the St Catherine residence of her niece, Dr Kathryn Brodber, following a long illness.
She began her career in the foreign service in January 1963. Her service at the ambassadorial level began in 1975 when she became Jamaica's first female ambassador on her posting to France, where she served until 1980 when she was reassigned as ambassador to Belgium and the European Economic Community - a position she held for seven years.
On Wednesday Dr Baugh said Parris' competence was unquestionable, "and her dedication was only surpassed by a firm commitment to strengthening the quality of Jamaica's representation overseas and she spared no effort to achieve this objective".
"She served her country with pride and distinction," Dr Baugh said, as family members and friends wept openly.

BVI loses one of its heroes
By Oscar Ramjeet
ROAD TOWN, BVI, August 8, 2008: The British Virgin Islands has lost one of its heroes - the man who fought the British to reclaim an important area in the territory's capital. Seventy-two-year-old Noel Lloyd died quietly at his home after a brief illness.
Lloyd will be remembered for the gusty determination and moral courage he displayed in pursuing the annulment of a development project that would have placed large parts of Road Town, the capital, and Anegada, another island in the territory, beyond the reach of local people.
Through the formation of the Positive Action Movement (PAM), Lloyd led the opposition to the 1960s agreement between the local government and the Bates Hill Company of Britain to reclaim the area around Wickham's Cay, which is now a popular commercial area, on the basis of a 199 year lease, after buying out the local owner, as well as control of three-quarters of Anegada.
Through several public meetings and peaceful protests, PAM, under Lloyd's leadership, succeeded in persuading the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to appoint a Commission of Enquiry and the agreement with Bates was eventually dissolved.
Prior to his formation of PAM, Lloyd served in the Royal Air Force in the late 1950s and early 1960s, after which he lived for four years in Kenya before returning to the BVI in the mid 1960s.
Premier Ralph O'Neal, in a brief comment, said, "We have lost a brave man, a courageous man, a man who fought for the principle and was not afraid to defend his stand for the BVI. In fact Mr Lloyd was a hero in every respect."
He was presented with a Badge of Honour last October in recognition of his contribution to the territory. The Palm Grove Park in the town was renamed in his honour, the Noel Lloyd/Positive Action Movement Park.
O'Neal also expressed his and the territory's condolence to Lloyd's two daughters, Sarah Lloyd Gomez, and Michelle Lloyd, and their mother.

Montego Bay, Jamaica, August 4, 2008: Christopher Gonzalez, Jamaican sculptor, painter, and pioneer in Jamaican art, has died at the age of 65. The artist died in Cornwall Regional Hospital in Montego Bay. He suffered from cancer, according to Kay Osbourne, managing director of Television Jamaica. Gonzalez was born in Manchester in 1943 and was famous for creating a 9-foot statue of Bob Marley, the reggae legend.

Economist Dr Kenneth King passes on
Georgetown, Guyana, July 31, 2008: Former Minister of Economic Deve-lopment and General Secretary of the PNCR, Dr Kenneth King passed away at his Second Avenue, Subryanville home yesterday morning following a prolonged illness.
King led a distinguished life and considered himself a true statesman who believed that his country did a lot for him and felt obligated to always give back; his son Brian King told Guyana's Stabroek News. Dr King also served as Guyana's Ambassador to the European Union from 2002-2004 and was remembered as the man behind the Forbes Burnham Administration plan in 1972 to "feed, clothe and house" the nation by 1976. He also played a leading role in the drafting of the National Development Strategy under the PPP/Civic.
Audrey Spence who cared for King during his illness over the last 17 years, with tears in her eyes related that the man died peacefully in his sleep. She said some time last week King had started to recite his obituary to her. On Tuesday night he drank soup, had asked for juice and then he asked her to sit with him all night. Spence said yesterday morning around 10 she noticed that King's eyes appeared glossy and when she waved her hands in front of his face she got no response. She said she then alerted his doctor and called for an ambulance but by the time they came to the house he seemed to be asleep. The woman said King died around 10.45 am. He was 79-years-old.
Brian was proud to recount his father's achievements to this newspaper. He said his father had served in many international organizations including as Assistant Director General at the Food and Agricultural Organisation (FAO) headquarters in Rome. Describing his father as an ardent West Indies cricket fan, Brian said simply that, "he was just an incredible man, a great father, he was inspirational and set high standards, very attentive and extremely loving." King was also described as a lover of art, extremely proud of his heritage and mostly as committed to his country. "To me personally, he has left me with pride in myself, to be proud of my heritage," Brian added.
In January 2002 King was appointed Guyana's Ambassador to the European Union based in Brussels. He was also a former General Secretary of the People's National Congress and served as minister at various times during the PNC administration including as special adviser to late former President Desmond Hoyte. He was an economist by training and also worked for the United Nations Development Programme and other UN bodies. King was the holder of a Bachelors of Social Science Degree in Banking and Law from the University of London and a PhD from Oxford University.
Last evening the PNCR expressed its condolences to King's family. The party noted that Dr. King returned to FAO in the 70's after his stint as Minister of Economic Development and continued his international career. "But it was clear that he followed events from afar and was not reluctant to return to Guyana and served the Hoyte Administration in the late 80's and early 90's just when equally momentous events were taking place. He participated in the programme to free the Guyana economy and put it on a basis of a market economy underpinned by the attendant political and other freedoms. Dr. King was an important player in the shaping of the Economic Recovery Programme and other important economic developments.
"After the elections of 1992 he served the PNCR as General Secretary and a Member of Parliament. His participation in the latter forum was marked by informed and enlightened statements. His deep knowledge of economic matters enabled him to make apt observations (about) the economic direction of the country under the PPP Administration".
The party added "Dr. King was a truly patriotic Guyanese and his wide knowledge of international affairs and his grasp of complex economic matters will be missed. May his soul rest in peace!"
King was the second of five children born to his parents. He leaves to mourn three brothers and a sister, his daughter Karen King-Aribisala - the 2008 commonwealth Book Prize winner for the African region - and his grandson Femi.

Roy Shirley passes away
London, UK, July 21, 2008: Singer Roy Shirley, whose seminal hit song Hold Them , is recognised as the first rock steady song, died in England last week.
Shirley, known for his dramatic stage costumes and performances, was 64.
The British company, Trojan Records which reissued several of Shirley's music in Europe, announced his death on its website.
"Truly unique, Roy was not only one of the true greats of Jamaican music's first golden age, but also a gentleman in every sense of the word, and he will be sadly missed by all those who knew him, either personally or through his music," the posting read, in part.
Born Ainsworth Roy Rushton Shirley, he grew up in Trench Town, an area that produced several pioneers of Jamaica's popular music.
Hold Them, recorded in 1967, was his biggest hit. It was reportedly the first song funded by a young producer named Joe Gibbs who would go on to find fame in the 1970s with Dennis Brown, Culture and George Nooks.
Hold Them's loping beat was considerably slower than ska and is often cited by musicologists as the first rock steady song.
Shirley had been living in England since 1973.

Chan Pratt Found Dead
Nassau, Bahamas, July 9, 2008: World reknowned Bahamas artist Chan Pratt, 44, was found dead yesterday at Colony Club on St. Albans Drive off West Bay Street, apparently from stroke or heart attack.
Mr. Pratt owned a nursery called The Tree Depot.
Described Mr. Pratt as "a truly unique creative force in the world of art", Mr. Pratt was known to be among the Bahamas' foremost artists, and recognized as influential and important in the development of Bahamian art.
Mr. Pratt started out by working in a local bank but then pursued a career in art under the tutelage of artist Eddie Minnis.
Over the years Mr. Pratt became a prominent artist in his own right. His unique style of painting, using the palette knife, was said to have brought his paintings to life by giving them a three dimensional effect.
Mr. Pratt's work adorns the walls of homes of art collectors around the world.
In 1993, Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham presented the then-President of the United States Bill Clinton with one a Chan Pratt painting as a gift from the Bahamian people.
The painting still hangs the walls of the White House.
Police do not appear to believe foul play was a factor, and the Journal understands Mr. Pratt's family has been informed of the tragedy.

Obituary - Arthur Chung
Georgetown, Guyana, June 24, 2008: Arthur Chung, OE, January 10, 1918 ­ June 23, 2008

Arthur Chung, first president of the republic, died on June 23, aged 90.
Arthur Chung made world history when he was elected by the National Assembly to be Presi-dent of Guyana making him the first ethnic Chinese (Hakka) president of a non-Asian state. He also made regional history by becoming president of the first republic in the Commonwealth Caribbean.
Other eminent citizens had been considered for the prestigious position. The list of nominees proposed by contemporary commentators included Chancellor of the Judiciary, Sir Edward Luckhoo; Speaker of the National Assembly, Mr Rahman Gajraj; General Mana-ger of the Guyana Development Corporation, Mr Gavin Kennard; and Ombudsman, Mr Gordon Gillette. The eventual winner was a surprise.
Unassuming, unpretentious and without the cachet of the celebrities, High Court Judge Mr Arthur Chung emerged as the nominee of the People's National Congress. This was announced by then Prime Minister Forbes Burnham at a special sitting of the National Assembly on Monday, February 23, 1970. The People's Progressive Party had nominated prominent party member Ashton Chase. Arthur Chung was eventually elected on March 17, 1970 and was re-elected for a second term in 1976 ­ admittedly in both instances by a Parliament whose composition reflected the fraudulent elections of 1968 and 1973. He demitted office on October 6, 1980, making him, up to the present time, the republic's longest-serving president.
Still being driven in the colonial governor-general's Austin Princess limousine from his home in the judge's quarters in High Street, Kingston, he arrived at Parliament Buildings for his inauguration to a roar of applause from the curious but delighted citizenry. In words that remain relevant thirty-eight years afterwards, the first president declared "Our survival as a nation will depend on how well we work together." He called on citizens to stop quarrelling among themselves and to get on with the task of developing the resources of the country to everyone's advantage. The same night, he and his wife moved into the official residence, formerly Government House which by then was renamed Guyana House.
A constitutional head of state, Arthur Chung was anything but ceremonial. Although he could act only on 'advice,' his authority, derived from that of the post-independence Governor-General, was impressive. It was he who had legal authority, in certain circumstances, to appoint and remove the prime minister, and cabinet ministers. He had to be kept "fully informed concerning the general conduct of the government by the Prime Minister." As Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, he appointed the chief of staff and commissioned all military officers and, as Chancellor of the Orders, appointed deserving citizens to this country's national honours.
Exercising authority and influence rather than power, Arthur Chung understood his role as a civil servant and held his office with quiet dignity. He was to be the friendly face of Guyana's future foreign policy of forging strategic relations in the Caribbean and economic relations with socialist countries.
Abroad, he made his first official visit as head of state to the United Kingdom in July 1971 where he was the Queen's luncheon guest at Buckingham Palace, had tea with the Prime Minister at 10 Downing Street, attended a performance of Swan Lake at the Royal Opera House and a supper party at the Savoy hosted by the Minister of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs. Inevitably, his well-informed hosts indulged their guest's well-known enthusiasm for horse-racing when the Duke of Norfolk accompanied him to Ascot and, again the following week, when the Earl and Countess of Marsh took him to the Goodwood Race Course. But this visit was backed by real cultural diplomacy when the President presented a collection of authentic Amerindian artifacts to the Commonwealth Institute for display there.
Official visits in the region to Antigua, Grenada and Jamaica followed. In the East, he visited the Republic of India; the People's Republic of China, meeting President Hua Guofeng; the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, where he met President Kim Il Sung and to the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, where he met President Joseph Tito.
At home, he seemed to be the epitome of the ordinary citizen. He often visited hinterland communities nourishing a special fondness for Matthew's Ridge where he was wont to spend New Year's Eve with his family, and Annai in the Rupununi. He once caused something of a stir in the Venezuelan camp on occupied Ankoko Island when it was learnt that he was visiting Guyana Defence Force troops at Eteringbang across the Cuyuni River.
Arthur Chung was born on January 10, 1918 at Windsor Forest, about 8 km from Vreed-en-Hoop on the West Coast Demerara, into a family of eight ­ three boys and five girls. His father Joseph Chung, an immigrant from China, worked as a foreman on Martha Fung-Kee-Fung's extensive rice property at Windsor Forest; his mother Lucy was an immigrant from Trinidad. Windsor Forest is a historic place. Together with Pouderoyen and La Jalousie, all former sugar plantations on the West Demerara, they were the destinations of the first Chinese indentured immigrants who arrived aboard the SS Glentanner on 12 January 1853. The village is also the site of a monument erected in 2003 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Chinese immigration.
Arthur Chung was baptised and worshipped at St Jude's Anglican Church at Blanken-burg and attended the Windsor Forest and Blankenburg primary schools on the West Coast and the Modern High School in Georgetown, graduating with the Junior and Senior Cambridge certificates in 1938.
His working life began as an apprentice surveyor at the Lands and Mines Department. He qualified as a sworn land surveyor in 1940 after which he joined the staff of the Public Works Department where he stayed for six months before being recalled to the Lands and Mines Department to work as an Assistant Hydrographic surveyor with the Demerara River Navigation Development Project which, at the time, was involved in dredging the Demerara River. It was while living and working aboard the waterborne vessel that he was able to accumulate enough savings to travel to Britain to study.
Arthur Chung left British Guiana in May 1945 to read law at the Middle Temple, Inns of Court, London. He qualified as a barrister (attorney-at-law) in 1947, remaining in London to work as an assistant legal examiner with the British Civil Service and, later, at the chambers of British lawyer, Maurice Shear. He was called to the English bar and returned home in October 1948 when he was admitted to the local bar and entered private practice.
He spent the next decade on the bench, moving gradually from the position of acting magistrate in March 1953, to senior magistrate, registrar of the Supreme Court and puisne judge in the Supreme Court, a position in which he was confirmed in May 1963. After he left the bench, he used to speak with warm nostalgia of his days on the circuit saying: "I really enjoyed this period of my job as I was able to see the whole of Guyana because, in those days, a magistrate had to cover many areas in one judicial district." His last case was the murder trial of persons accused of involvement in the Rupununi Rebellion in January 1969.
Arthur Chung served through the decade of the grand experiment to transform society and the economy. Innovations ranged from changing conventions on dress to the nationalisation of the commanding heights of the economy and the initiation of diplomatic relations with communist states. He adapted with admirable ease. Indeed, the Chung presidency made a start in redefining the national identity and represented what ordinary people thought republicanism and socialism meant. It had the effect of imparting the impression that the high office of head of state stood above partisan politics yet moved with the times.
As legatee of the colonial gubernatorial tradition, and as a pioneer of an unfamiliar presidential convention, he abided by the constitutional prescriptions of his office, soberly avoiding the political controversies of the 1970s. He exuded a sense of dignity and impartiality to the highest office in the land and set a certain social tone as patron of the Guyana Legion, Guyana Red Cross Society, Guyana Lawn Tennis Association, and other civic organisations. He was respected and, in the era of the executive presidency, missed. He was awarded the state's highest honour, the Order of Excellence, in 1980.

Jamaican Theater Producer Dead
CaribWorldNews, KINGSTON, Jamaica, Fri. June 20, 2008: Top Jamaican director and producer, Norman Rae, is dead.
Rae, who was awarded the national Honor of Commander of the Order of Distinction, for his outstanding contribution to theatre and the public service in Jamaica, was found dead yesterday at his home in Stony Hill, St. Andrew, Jamaica. The cause of his death was un known at press time.
He had a distinguished career in Jamaican and British theatre. He was the producer of the RJR production of Gloria Lanaman's A Time To Remember for a period of five years and later for Very Special People for JBC Television. All this combined with a plethora of activity on the Jamaican stage such as A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1965) featuring 'Sagwa' Bennett, Lois Kelly-Barrow, Dennis Scott and others at the Ward Theatre, the unforgettable 8 O' Clock Jamaica Time, a revue he created in collaboration with Tony Gambrill and Jimmy Barton, Errol John's Moon on a Rainbow Shawl, as well as four Pantomimes with the Little Theatre Movement. Norman Rae's last theatrical effort was the Ward Theatre Foundation's 2004 production of In the Woods.
Last night a government statement said Rae will be `remembered for his biting criticism and engaging wit.`
`He was a defender of standards in theatre and fearless in his advocacy for breadth and depth in the offerings to the people of Jamaica. He eschewed the concept of theatre as mere entertainment and advocated constantly for the integrity of theatre as also educational and spiritually uplifting. In this regard, he was for the widening of choice to the people,` the statement added.

Tafari dies in T&T
Bridgetown, Barbados, May 31, 2008: FORMER DIRECTOR of the Pan African Commission, Dr Ikael Tafari, is dead.
This was confirmed last night by Deryck Murray, acting director, who said Tafari died suddenly yesterday in Trinidad where he was attending a conference. It was not certain how old he was.
Tafari was reportedly recently fired from the top position in the Pan African Commission.
A former student of Harrison College, Tafari (christened Michael Hutchinson) was a member of the prominent Hutchinson family of Woodside, Bay Street, St Michael. He spent many years in Jamaica where he studied at the Mona Campus of the University of the West Indies and subsequently worked, before returning to Barbados.
He worked with the Pan African Commission from its inception in 1997 and eventually became its director in 2004.
Murray said that Tafari was in the twin-island republic at the invitation of National Joint Action Committee and delivered a speech on Thursday evening.
He added that there were not many details to date on the circumstances surrounding Tafari's death but said he had taken ill at his hotel and was subsequently pronounced dead at the Port-of-Spain General Hospital.
Last night when the SATURDAY SUN contacted his relatives they requested that the paper call back today.
Tafari was a noted figure in the local and regional Pan-African movement and was a columnist in the DAILY NATION for a number of years.

Founders of Caribbean Food Delights Mourn Tragic Death
TAPPAN, New York, May 13, 2008: Friends and family of Vincent and Jeanette HoSang, owners and founders of Caribbean Food Delights, Royal Caribbean Bakery and JerkQ'zine Caribbean Grille, have converged at their home in Westchester County comforting the family as they mourn the tragic loss of their youngest child, 24 year old Brian Vincent HoSang.
According to police reports, on Mother's Day, Sunday, May 11th Brian was traveling south in the middle lane on interstate 684 in Putnam County when he lost control of his 2005 Honda motorcycle and was thrown from his bike, when it slammed into a guard rail at around 1:20 pm near exit 8 Croton Falls. State police pronounced him dead at the scene.
"Brian was such a loving personhe always looked out for everyone," says older sister Sabrina, Chief Operating Officer of Caribbean Food Delights. "Brian did what he wanted to do; he accomplished everything in life without fear and never allowed anything to stop him from achieving his goals. He always put others before himself and was a very happy, lovable person. Brian always made me laugh with his witty jokes and just wanted the best for everyone." Some of the things Brian enjoyed doing besides riding his bike was skateboarding, snowboarding and skydiving. "He was a daredevil," said his sister Simone. "He lived every day like it was his last." Born on September 5, 1983, Brian had a tremendous enthusiasm for life. "Brian was an amazing person and he was loved by everyone," sighed Sabrina. Both sisters revealed that it's been a year since he began riding his motorcycle. He was fond of popping wheelies and perfecting stunts on his motorcycle skateboard and even on the staircase in the house, they said.
Brian HoSang attended Byram Hills High School and Westchester Community College. He worked in the family business and was recently appointed as the manager of the Mount Vernon Jerk-Q-Zine Caribbean Grille. Brian is survived by his parents, Vincent and Jeanette, his sisters Simone and Sabrina and his brother Damian. He also has guardianship of his 16 year old cousin, Brittany Blake.
At press time, the family had not finalized funeral arrangements. However the viewing will take place on Friday, May 23rd and the service on Saturday, May 24th. For more information on location and time, please call the Caribbean Food Delights headquarters at 845-398-3000. Brian will be greatly missed by his family, friends and the community.
The family is requesting that in lieu of flowers donations can be made to the Vincent HoSang Family Foundation in which scholarships will be granted to students in Brian's name. Checks can be sent to Caribbean Food Delights at 117 Route 303, Suite B, Tappan, NY 10983.

Neville Bissember passes
Georgetown, Guyana, May 4, 2008: Neville James Bissember, former Deputy Prime Minister in the PNC government of the 1960s, has passed away.
He died at age 80 of respiratory complications at the St Joseph Mercy Hospital yesterday morning following a short illness.
Bissember, who was born in Corentyne, Berbice, grew up in Whim and attended the Berbice High School from where he moved on to study law in England.
He served in the health and housing and the information and trade ministries in the PNC government that came into office in December 1964. He also served as Leader of the House.
In the early 1960s Bissember had attended two of the three constitutional conferences in London, and had been the PNC representative on the legal committee of the conference which had drafted Guyana's independence constitution.
Bissember resigned from the government in 1970 after which he took up the position as chairman of the Guyana Telecommunications Corporation for two years. He then resumed his private law practice full-time. He pursued this until the mid-1990s when a mild stroke required him to reduce his professional activities. He retired completely in October 2004 following further illness.
Bissember leaves to mourn his wife Mary of fifty-four years; his children Elfrieda Bissember, Curator of the National Gallery, and Neville Bissember Jr; five grandchildren; siblings and other relatives.

Toronto, Canada, May 3, 2008: The Jamaican-born community activist, Dr. Clovis John Brooks, has died at the age of 84. Dr. Brooks died in Toronto, Canada, after suffering from Alzheimer's disease for a number of years. He is best known for founding the John Brooks Community Foundation and Scholarship Fund, which was created to recognize high school students of African descent for their academic achievements. Dr. Brooks migrated to Canada in 1963.

Wordsworth McAndrew dies at 72
East Orange, New Jersey, April 26, 2008: Guyanese cultural icon Wordsworth McAndrew passed away yesterday at the East Orange Hospital, New Jersey, USA following a short illness. He was 72 years old.
Persons who worked with McAndrew describe him as a broadcaster, folklorist and poet, who was one of the most influential advocates for the collection, preservation and celebration of Guyanese folk life.
"Guyana has lost an extremely talented son of the soil and a true cultural anthropologist," former workmate Terry Holder recounted as he relayed his thoughts about the death of a close friend yesterday.
McAndrew, more famously known for his popular poem "Ole Higue", hosted several radio programmes as an information officer with the Guyana Information Services, then with the Guyana Broadcasting Services (GBS) as programme director.
Sir Ronald Sanders, a former GBS general manager who trained and worked with Mc Andrew for many years, proposed in a tribute to McAndrew that the Ministry of Culture name the poetry session of this year's Carifesta for him, in celebration of his writings.
Sir Ronald described his years of knowing and working with him as "exasperation, pleasure and an affectionate frustration" at times.
According to him, McAndrew educated a generation about rural life, Guyanese proverbs and sayings and essentially about the culture of the ordinary people of Guyana.
"His connection to the culture of Guyana was strong. Not only to the African culture which one would would have assumed was his natural calling, but the East Indian culture as well. Wordsworth was capable of cross-over long before it became fashionable in Guyanese music," Sir Ronald said in his tribute.
Referring to his colleague as a "real cultural anthropologist", Holder, a former GBS manager told Stabroek News last evening that he was saddened about his former colleague's passing but said his work lives on. Holder said he and McAndrew went through high school together, spent many years in broadcast together and shared many similar interests.
"He was sincerely interested in finding out about things Guyanese and really understood the observances of Phagwah, Diwali and culture on the whole," he said.
He recounted that at a national music festival held many years ago, Mc Andrew played the steel pan, won the competition for the first pan solo and also copped a gold medal for the elocution contest as well.
He reminisced too on how he, McAndrew and other older and more experienced broadcasters had a good relationship and tried their best at keeping the younger broadcasters on their feet. 
"We made them feel the need to be good broadcasters," he said. Holder said he last saw his late colleague in June last year in Manhattan NY and he had already had failed eyesight and walked with the aid of a stick.
He remembered McAndrew's programme titled "Creole Meche Meche" which was broadcast every Wednesday and was a favourite of many, and reiterated that the man was extremely versatile and a number of writers emerged out of his encouragement.
Columnist Allan Fenty, who said he was also saddened by Mc Andrew's passing has promised a full tribute on McAndrew. However, he told Stabroek News that at the most personal level he was honoured to have succeeded him in Creole dialect, short stories, which he had "so wonderfully executed on local radio when no television or video was the order of the day."
McAndrew's friends and colleagues of the Guyana Cultural Association also recounted their times with McAndrew. Professor Vibert Cambridge said  "Mac" as he was fondly called, opened up Guyana's 'mythscape' and "helped us to understand that our myths carry many levels of meaning.
They tell about our fears and give us a snapshot into life in past times. Mac helped us to see our common humanity in the "rago" and the "ustaf." He gave us a vocabulary that has helped to make clear the difference between "typee" and "totelotipo."
Cambridge said too that over the years, McAndrew has meant many things to many people. He was also known as a fierce defender of Guyanese cuisine.
Mc Andew, who grew up in Cummingsburg and Newtown, Kitty and attended Christ  Church Primary School and then Queen's College. (Reprinted from Stabroek News mewspaper, Guyana.)

Dr Phyllis McPherson-Russell
Kingston, Jamaica, April 24, 2008: The People's National Party has expressed regret at the passing of Dr Phyllis McPherson-Russell.
Party President Portia Simpson Miller has said, "Dr McPherson-Russell was a pioneer in advancing the causes and promoting the development of women. She took a deep interest in human resource development and was pivotal in the democratisation of the education system and the promotion of students' interests and activities during her tenure as minister of education."
Dr McPherson-Russell was a convenor for the PNP's Women's Movement, which started in 1974, and served the movement in many capacities. She was appointed to the Senate and served as minister of education from 1978-1980. An educator by profession, Dr McPherson-Russell enjoyed a long and distinguished career at the University of the West Indies, where she served from 1975 to 2007.
Dr McPherson-Russell was the recipient of the National Honour of the Order of Jamaica in 2002 for her outstanding contribution to the field of education. She was also honoured by UNICEF for her pioneering and long-standing commitment to the field of health and family education.

Aime Cesaire, Father of Negritude Dies Thursday At 94
Fort-de-France, Martinique, April 17, 2008: Aimé Caesar, poet and native of Martinique, died Thursday morning at 94 years at the Fort-de-France Teaching Hospital where was admitted since 9 April sources said.
Cesaire died of a heart ailment after having founded the literary movement of Negritude alongside with Leopold Sedar Senghor, Alioune Diop, Leon Gontran Damas and Leo Frobenius.
Leopold Sedar Senghor admitted that it was Cesaire who invented the word "Negritude" but the latter preferred speaking of "collective creation".
Born in Basse-Terre in June 1913, Cesaire became famous, thanks to his major literary works such as, 'Return to my native land (Cahier d'un retour au pays natal - Poetry 1939), the Tragedy of King Christophe (La Tragedie du Roi Christophe - theatre 1963), both published at Presence Africaine.
Untiring promoter of the autonomy and not the independence of Martinique, Aime Cesaire was in the vanguard of all struggles against colonialism and racism.
He also did so chiefly in his "Discours sur le colonialisme" (Speech on colonialism) - a virulent essay against the West, which he tirelessly accused of sitting on "the highest heap of corpses in history."

Keble Munn is dead
Kingston, Jamaica, April 15, 2008: Former People's National Party (PNP) Cabinet minister, Keble Munn, died yesterday in the University Hospital of the West Indies.
Munn was minister of agriculture between 1959 and 1962 and again in the 1970s. He was also minister of national security during the 1976 State of Emergency, Leader of the House of Representatives on two occasions and minister of parliamentary affairs.
He started his political career as a councillor in the Kingston and St Andrew Corporation (KSAC) in 1956, was appointed deputy mayor of Kingston in 1957, and was elected to the House of Representatives in 1959 for East Rural St Andrew, a seat he held until 1980 when he retired from representational politics.
Munn is a life member of the Jamaica Agricultural Society, chairman of the Mavis Bank Central Factory and a former chairman of the Coffee Industry Board and the Agriculture Credit Board.
Born in New York in 1920, Munn was schooled at Wolmer's before going to Canada where he joined that country's army and served in Belgium, England and France during World War II.
His family has been involved in coffee farming since 1885, and he is credited with introducing organic (chicken) manure to local coffee farmers.
However, Munn is probably best remembered as minister of national security in 1976 when a number of persons were detained at Up Park Camp, the Jamaica Defence Force headquarters, in the State of Emergency which preceded the general election of that year.
In statements yesterday, Prime Minister Bruce Golding and his predecessors, P J Patterson and Portia Simpson Miller, expressed regret at his passing.
Golding described him as "a passionate advocate for small farmers". Patterson said that he was "a very close and endearing friend" whose contribution to the coffee industry is internationally recognised. Simpson Miller said that he was "a dedicated, committed member" of the party who served with distinction in many capacities.
Last year, Munn was conferred with the Order of Jamaica, the country's third highest honour, for his contribution to agriculture.

Marley Matriarch Cedella
By Brittany Somerset
Florida, April 10, 2008: On April 8th, 2008, Cedella Marley Booker, or "Mama B" as she was affectionately known, passed away peacefully in her sleep, surrounded by her loved ones, at her home in Miami, Florida, at the age of 81.
Although her final home was in Miami, where she lived close to her musical grandchildren, she was also known to reside from time to time at her original home in Nine Mile, Jamaica, which is now the Bob Marley museum and his final resting place. She also spent several years living in Delaware with her second husband Mr. Edward Booker, where she ran The Roots record shop.
Cedella, a Jamaican, was married to Norval Marley, from Great Britain, who was 32 years her senior, and they lived together in the early 1950's. From this union, Bob was conceived. Cedella was the primary caregiver in Bob's life and remained staunchly by his side during his meteoric rise to fame.
She wrote two biographies about her famous son entitled, Bob Marley: An Intimate Portrait by His Mother (1997), and Bob Marley, My Son (2003).
Besides being an author, and the mother of one of the most influential musicians of all time, she was also a musician in her own right. She recorded three albums, entitled "Awake Zion!," "Smilin' Island of Song: A Musical Adventure for Children" and "Woman Divine." Her song "Brown Girl In The Ring" is the title track on a World Music compilation CD for children in the "Music For Little People" Series. As a grandmother of 52, her penchant for children was widely recognized.
Cedella is survived by two children from her second marriage, Claudette Livingston and Richard Booker, and 52 Grandchildren.
A loving, maternal woman of remarkable courage and strength, having prematurely buried two of her sons, Cedella undoubtedly reunited with her two deceased children in Zion.
Rest In Peace Mama B.

Jeffrey Thompson, former cabinet minister, dies
Nassau, Bahamas, March 26, 2008: Jeffrey M. Thompson, one of the original ministers in the first Majority Rule cabinet in 1967, died on Thursday. He was 76.
Thompson was one of the last living members of that era until his death. With his passing, only three members of that cabinet are still alive, including Arthur D. Hanna, Sir Clement Maynard and Warren Levarity.
Thompson was considered a patriotic man and a major contributor to the development of The Bahamas.
Former Prime Minister and leader of the Progressive Liberal Party, Perry G. Christie, extended his condolences to Thompson's entire family yesterday.
"He was one of the great patriots of his time and an important builder of the modern Bahamas. May he rest in peace," Christie said in a prepared statement.
Thompson's political career started at an early age. In addition to being a former secretary general of the PLP, he represented the people of Fort Fincastle in the House of Assembly from 1967 to 1972.
As a founding member of the National Committee for Positive Action (NCPA), a pressure-group within the PLP, Thompson helped facilitate both the ascendancy of Lynden Pindling as leader of the PLP and the radicalization of the PLP's fight for Majority Rule during the 1950s and 1960s.
In addition to working in Pindling's law chambers, Thompson was a close and trusted confidant of the former prime minister.
He was elected to the House of Assembly in the historic 1967 general election and appointed Minister of Internal Affairs in the first PLP cabinet. Later, he served as Minister of Development.
"He served as a minister and parliamentarian and was highly regarded for his personal decency and conciliatory manner," Christie said. "He was the consummate gentleman in debate and had an absolute abhorrence for personal attacks of any kind."
Following his retirement from politics in 1972, Thompson pursued legal studies at Gray's Inn in London, England and was later called to the English Bar in 1976 and to the Bahamas Bar in 1977. His legal career was later crowned when he was appointed to the Supreme Court bench in 1996.
"As a judge, he was hailed for his impartiality, integrity and fairness," Christie said.
Shortly after being called to the English Bar, Thompson re-entered politics and was appointed to the Senate.
In l978, Thompson was appointed general attorney to the Grand Bahama Port Authority, the Grand Bahama Development Company and Freeport Commercial and Industrial Limited. Then, in 1979, Thompson was named president of The Bahamas Industrial and Allied Workers Union, with headquarters in Freeport, Grand Bahama.
Consequently, he resigned his post as general attorney to the Grand Bahama Port Authority, the Grand Bahama Development Company and Freeport Commercial and Industrial Limited.
In a statement released yesterday evening, Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham said he joined his colleagues and the Opposition in mourning the passing of Thompson and extended his sincere condolences to his daughters, other relatives and close friends.
"Mr. Thompson was one of that celebrated band of Bahamian politicians who were elected in 1967 to bring about historic change in the political and social landscape of The Bahamas," Ingraham said.
"He served with distinction in both the House of Assembly and the Senate and was highly respected by all. Although he left the political arena to study law, his passion for public service remained strong and later led him to serve as a judge of the Supreme Court." |
"On behalf of the Government and people of The Bahamas I should like to express gratitude for the life and service of Mr. Thompson and extend deepest sympathy to his family."
Thompson was born on February 23, 1932 in New Providence to Samuel Fritzherbert Thompson and Mary Louise (nee Roberts). He was educated at the former Western Senior School and the Government High School. Thompson was married to the former Merline Sullivan and the couple had three daughters.

Cuban Musician Dead At 89
CaribWorldNews, NEW YORK, NY, Tues. Mar. 25, 2008: The Cuban musician who was dubbed the inventor of the mambo is dead.
Israel `Cachao` Lopez died on Saturday at age 89 after complications from kidney failure. Lopez spent half his life in America and was considered a musical innovator who started as a classical bassist and incorporated Cuban Afro beats mixed with a healthy dose of jazz.
But it was only in the 1990s when the Cuban-American Hollywood star Andy García took up his cause that he gained worldwide recognition. Cachao's music was used in the movie, The Lost City, a film which was eventually released only in 2006 while García produced a 1993 documentary titled, `Cachao Como Su Ritmo No Hay Dos (Like His Rhythm There Is No Other),` which put the bassist on the world music map.
Two of Cachao albums won Grammys and Cachao was given a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame. He played with artists such as Celia Cruz, Bebo Valdes, Tito Puente, Willy Chirino, Paquito D'Rivera, Willie Colon, and his music has been featured on movies such as The Birdcage, and on the Grand Theft Auto: Vice City soundtrack.
Lopez was born in Havana on September 14 1918 and began performing at age 12. After leaving the island in 1962, he lived first in Spain, then in Las Vegas, later in New York and, in his latter years, among the large Cuban-American population of Miami.
Lopez died after complications from kidney failure in Miami. He is survived by a daughter, Maria Elena Lopez.

Caribbean American Radio Jock Dead At 40
CaribWorldNews, NEW YORK, NY, Weds. Mar. 19, 2008: A Caribbean American radio personality, who worked at WWRL, 1600AM and at 93.5FM in New York, is dead at age 40.
Reports reaching CWN indicate that Terrence Keith Smith, aka TK Smith died in his sleep on Sunday, March 16 at his home in Long Island, New York. The cause of death was not revealed.
Smith, born of Jamaican parents in England, had joined the Culture Jam Radio program at 93.5FM in New York in 1999 and was later enlisted by Clinton Lindsay to be the new host of the Top 30 Reggae Charts that aired on the station.
He catered to the Caribbean and international communities where he strived to maintain the authenticity of reggae music.
Smith was a graduate of the Norman Manley High School and Kingston Technical High School in Jamaica and Kingsborough Community College in New York.
He is survived by his sisters Elaine Smith Hibbert and Paulette Vann, nephew Nicolas, uncles Teddy and Trevor and aunts Verlita, Olga, Violet, Joyce and Eunice among several other relatives.

Puerto Rican Artist Dead At 85
CaribWorldNews, SAN JUAN Puerto Rico, Tues. Mar. 18, 2008: Puerto Rico is currently in two-days of mourning following the death of popular Puerto Rican painter, Rafael Tufino.
Tufino passed away from lung caner late last week at a San Juan hospital. He was 85. Tufino's works included several landscapes and portraits that now hang in many museums across the U.S. including the New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Tufino is set to be laid to rest later this week. Fans were able to pay tributes to him as his body lay in state Monday at the Institute of Puerto Rican Culture.
Tufino was born in Brooklyn in 1922. He returned to Puerto Rico at age 10. Tufino's works depict life both in urban New York, and pre-industrial Puerto Rico. While the artist's work often celebrates popular traditions, including folk artists, religious and secular festivals, Tufino remained committed to fostering the appreciation of the Island's African cultural contributions, especially as expressed in dance and music. Tufino's images have become a trademark of Puerto Rico's rich cultural heritage. ­

Mikey Dread, gone from the control
Hailed as one of reggae greatest innovators
Connecticut, March 16, 2008: Radio disc jock Mikey Dread is dead. He succumbed to a brain tumour late yesterday afternoon at his family home in Connecticut, USA at the age of 54. Born Michael Campbell in Port Antonio, Jamaica, he distinguished himself as an extraordinary studio engineer and presenter at the now defunct Jamaica Broadcasting Corporation (JBC) where he came to prominence in the 1970s as "The Dread-the-Control Tower", the name of the late night show he presented at a time when reggae music was scoffed at by many.
One of reggae's greatest innovators and original radio engineers/technicians, the past student of Titchfield High School, in 2006 celebrated the 30th anniversary of the night programme which he started at the JBC, and revolutionised the after midnight shift making it into the most popular slot on radio, by playing strictly dub music. This innovation is seen by many musicologists as the antecedence of dancehall as we now know it.
Upon leaving the JBC, Mikey Dread ventured into recording and scored with a number of releases such as Weatherman Skanking in combination with Ray I, Barber Saloon, Love the Dread, as well as albums such as Dread at the Control, Evolutionary Rockers and World War III. Over time he attracted the attention of British punk rockers, The Clash, who invited him to produce some of their music, the most famous of which is their single Bankrobber, and contributed to several songs on their 1980 album, Sandinista. Mikey Dread also toured with The Clash across Britain, wider Europe and the US.
He also worked closely with producer Trevor Elliot to launch musical career of singer Edi Fitzroy, who was then an accountant at the JBC. As the news of his passing surfaced yesterday, the Sunday Observer got comments from a number of persons in the media and the music fraternity, all of whom hailed Mikey Dread as a significant contributor to the development of Jamaican music. "His (Mikey Dread's) work, is not only national or regional, but also international," former JBC's journalist Leslie Miles noted. "It spanned the world scene and made Mikey a pioneer broadcaster for playing dub music, and also redefined aspects of radio, especially night time radio" Miles, who is now head of news at Bess FM, also spoke of the struggle Mikey Dread faced at the conservative JBC. Music consultant Colin Leslie pointed out that the consequence of the "fight" he received from the management was putting him on at night, but that backfired.
"Remember he is a Portlander, so I always appreciated the fact that we shared the same alma mater (Titchfield High School), that is something I've always cherished and I hold him in high esteem. Although he was ahead of my era, he was somebody who laid an awesome foundation and was very unique and highly respected," was how Richard "Richie B" Burgess of Hot 102, remembered Mikey Dread.
"We were at JBC together, and in those days when he started at the JBC dreads weren't popular on the air. The powers that be in management really gave him a fight," Ali McNab told the Sunday Observer.
"Michael Campbell, is someone who revolutionised radio in Jamaica when there was still an anti-Jamaican sentiment regarding music and culture. In terms of the emerging dancehall, it was Mikey Dread who popularised it on radio. Although it was late night, he still managed to popularise dancehall music and bring it to the masses," was the perspective of Dennis Howard who also worked on JBC Radio, in the post-Mikey Dread era.
And Irie FM's disc jockey, GT Taylor hailed the late Mikey Dread as a role model. "Reggae music in Jamaica, owes a lot that that brother. He was one man who stood up for reggae in the early '70s, bringing the music to the forefront. He is one of my inspirations."
Veteran singer Freddie McGregor attested to the fact that "Mikey Dread was one of the persons fighting the struggle for reggae music. Mikey and I did a lot of shows together over the years. A wonderful brethren".

Manchester, UK, March 15, 2008: A diverse segment of the Jamaican community in Manchester in the United Kingdom paid their respects to Louise Da-Cocodia, a prominent social activist. Da-Cocodia died on March 13, 2008 at the age of 73. She was known for being a passionate fighter for justice and fairness. She was a former Deputy Lord Lieutenant for Greater Manchester and was awarded a Member of the British Empire (MBE) by the Queen for community service in 2005.

Trini novelist dies at 100 in Australia
Melbourne, Australia, February 22, 2008: Trinidad-born novelist Dr Ralph de Boissiere has died in Australia at the age of 100.
De Boissiere, who had emigrated to Australia in 1948, died at his home in Melbourne last Saturday. Last November, he received an honorary degree of Doctor of Letters from the University of Trinidad and Tobago.
He had chronicled the Uriah Buzz Butler era and gave an historic portrayal of life in Trinidad and Tobago during the 1930s, in his seminal novels Crown Jewel and Rum and Coca-Cola.
The funeral service for De Boissiere was held in Australia yesterday followed by cremation.

Joe Gibbs has passed away
New York, February 22, 2008: The legendary producer Joe Gibbs (born Joel A. Gibson) has passed away at the age of 65.
This influential man behind and in front of the boards was a major pioneering force from the late '60s, early '70s rock steady/roots era to the early '80s dancehall era, known for his seminal releases such as, "Two Sevens Clash" by Culture, "Someone Loves You Honey" by J.C. Lodge, as well as his influential four chapter African Dub Series.
VP Records President Chris Chin expresses, "We want to take this time to remember a truly pivotal producer in the reggae business. Our prayers go out to his loved ones. His spirit and music will live on. "
Joe Gibbs, and the late Errol Thompson, have an exclusive worldwide agreement with VP Records vintage imprint, 17 North Parade, to re-release his complete catalog, including the Barrington Levy Collection (Apr. 26th), Joe Gibbs Reggae Anthology (May 2008) and many more.
17 North Parade (VP Records) A&R Fidel Luna states, "The legendary Joe Gibbs to me is one of the most humble, straightforward and pleasant people I have ever encountered in the music business. His contributions to Reggae as a hit-making producer and distributor are truly second to none."
Sirius Satellite's Reggae Rhythms channel will air his last interview on Sunday, March 2nd when they debut their new weekly series 'Sunday Classics'.

Former diplomat Donald Abrams dead at 71
Georgetown, Guyana, February 19, 2008: FORMER diplomat, Mr. Donald Abrams has died at age 71, his daughter, Andrea confirmed yesterday.
Among other postings, he was the first and only Ambassador to Iraq but held the positions of High Commissioner to Zambia and Ambassador to Suriname, as well.
Abrams also served in more diplomatic posts, including in Brussels, Belgium and Ottawa, Canada.
He succumbed to health complications in a city hospital last week Thursday.
Abrams had headed the Department for International Economic Cooperation (DIEC), which, later, became the Economic Services Department in the same Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
When that Ministry was split, for the creation of the Ministry of Foreign Trade and International Cooperation, Abrams was Head of the Economic Affairs Division of the latter ministry until his retirement a few years ago.
He is survived by his wife, Arlene and other children, Sarah, Donna, Simon and Naomi.

Tribute to Sobion in Parliament
Port of Spain, T&T, February 16th 2008: Parliamentarians yesterday paid tribute to former attorney general Keith Stanford Sobion as they reflected on his life's accomplishments and praised him as a brilliant mind of this nation.
Heartfelt tribute was expressed at the sitting of the House of Representatives at the Red House, Port of Spain and a minute of silence was observed in honour of Sobion's death.
Sobion, 56, died at the University Hospital, Jamaica, on Thursday. His death came as a shock to his family and colleagues as his medical complications arose after undergoing surgery two weeks ago to remove a tooth.
Leader of Government Business Colm Imbert was first to extend condolences to Sobion's family on behalf of the Government.
He said he had last heard that Sobion was on the road to recovery and "It was definitely a shock to learn that he had passed away,".
"He was a brilliant lawyer widely respected by his peers in Trinidad and Tobago and the throughout the Caribbean," said Imbert.
He added that Sobion served with distinction and will always be remembered for his outstanding work.
Siparia MP also a former attorney general Kamla Persad-Bissessar paid respects to Sobion on behalf of the Opposition benches.
She said she had the privilege to be one of Sobion's students at the Hugh Wooding Law School, St Augustine and she described as one of the most outstanding lecturers.
Persad-Bissessar as a politician she had her differences with Sobion but she remembered him as a gentleman who even offered her his seat when she replaced him as attorney general in 1995.
"His legacy will move on with his students who have now become lawyers," said Persad-Bissessar adding that they will shape the jurisprudence in a positive way.

The legend of Haitian Football passes away at 56
Orlando, FL, February 15, 2008: Emmanuel Sanon, one of Haiti's most celebrated soccer players, died in his sleep from pancreatic cancer Thursday morning, family members said. The Orlando resident was 56. Sanon -- affectionately known as Manno is best known among Haitians and soccer enthusiasts for his goal against Italian Dino Zoff in the 1974 World Cup match.
Haiti would lose 3-1 but that didn't matter: The striker's goal marked the end of Zoff's record 1,143 goalless minutes. Every Haitian knew where they were that day.
''When Manno scored that game, there was an eruption of joy,'' recalled radio commentator Herntz Phanord, who watched the game in a crowded movie house in New York. ``We didn't want anything to spoil that moment.''
Funeral arrangements are being planned in Orlando.

Broward, FL, February 11th 2008: Charles Earle Boothe, originally from Clarendon, Jamaica, transformed his small Caribbean bakery into an international business. Boothe, 60, died recently after several years of fighting cancer. Charles Jr., 34, Boothe's son, says his father wanted to work for himself in the tradition of following the American dream. Boothe went to New York in the 1960s and worked as a machinist, but he always wanted something more. When he moved to Broward in Florida in 1986 to be closer to his sister Olive, he decided to try a patty business to serve the growing Caribbean community in the area. Boothe was very successful and respected in the community.

Deryck Bernard passes away at 57
Georgetown, Guyana, February 6th 2008: Former minister of education Deryck Milton Bernard, 57, died at the Medical Arts Centre yesterday after a massive heart attack.
He was the husband of Myrna Bernard of the Caricom Secretariat and father of Denyse and Ayanna of the USA. His cousin Alex Graham told Stabroek News that Bernard, who at the time of his demise was in his second year at the Hugh Wooding Law School in Trinidad and Tobago having completed the law degree programme at the University of Guyana (UG) law school, was in the country to attend his mother's funeral last week. He reportedly stayed in Guyana to ride out the Carnival festivities in T&T.
An academic, politician, preacher, musician and author, who obtained his Bachelor's and Master's degree in Philosophy at Leicester University, UK, he lectured at UG for some 30 years where he was a senior lecturer, head of the Department of Geography and Dean of the Faculty of Arts.
During this time he also authored several articles and journals, and books, including a New Geography of Guyana, Geomorphology of Guyana and a Junior Atlas of Guyana. He also wrote 'Going home and other tales from Guyana'.
Bernard was the first Dean of the School of Education and Humanity and was the driving force behind the establishment of the School of Earth and Environmental Studies at UG. Deputy Registrar Vincent Alexander told Stabroek News that Bernard was a mentor to the staff, many of whom were his students and who still looked to him for leadership and guidance.
Alexander said that on learning of Bernard's death at UG, the staff and students, especially those in the School of Earth and Environmental Studies were deeply affected with many bursting into tears.
As a politician, he served as a permanent secretary to the late PNCR leader and president Desmond Hoyte and was a minister of education in his cabinet until 1992 when the PNCR lost the elections. He was elected back to the Central Executive Committee of the PNCR at the party's last controversial elections.
PNCR Leader Robert Corbin said that Bernard's death was "a tremendous loss to the party. "He has been just steadfast in season and out of season and he never allowed anything to come between his commitment to the party as well as his service to Guyana," he said.
He said the party will be discussing with the family details for the funeral arrangements.
The Government of Guyana yesterday afternoon expressed condolences to Bernard's family, relatives and friends. A statement said that President Bharrat Jagdeo and his Cabinet join in "mourning the passing of Mr Bernard who has contributed significantly to the national development of Guyana".
A statement from the University of Guyana yesterday expressed "profound sadness and shock" at Bernard's passing and extended condolences to his family.
Describing him as a colleague and friend, PNCR General Secretary Oscar Clarke said that he could only express deep shock and anguish at the news of his death while offering the PNCR's sympathies to his wife, children and other relatives. Though he was based in T&T over the past year, Clarke said that he was in regular contact with the party and served as an advisor. Alexander said that at the level of the PNCR Bernard "was a voice of reason. He could never be identified with any faction but commented on matters based on merit. His politics was issue-based." Extending condolences to the family, friends and to the PNCR on Bernard's passing, Speaker of the National Assembly Ralph Ramkarran said that he was "thoroughly shocked" on learning the news. He said that Bernard was a person of great ability and very much liked in the National Assembly when he was an MP in the last parliament.
"His contribution was very substantial and it was a sad day when he decided not to return to parliament to offer his great skill and learning," he said, adding that "he was a very humble and warm person and a very good friend of mine. I am deeply saddened by his passing."
Former permanent secretary in the Ministry of Education, Noel Adonis, who served under Bernard said that the deceased understood the education sector and had a vision of what the education system required in terms of what would be relevant to the Guyanese experience.
He said it was under Bernard's tenure in office that the National Centre for Educational Resource Development (NCERD) was established and the Inter-American Development Bank-funded Primary Education Improvement Project (PEIP) was conceived. In addition to the construction and rehabilitation of schools, he said that the programme also focused on the writing and publication of text books.
As a musician, singer, composer and arranger, and a member of the Woodside Choir, he was leader of the folk section of the Korokwa group and the deputy conductor of the Woodside. His colleague Marilyn Dewar recalled that only last week they sat together along with her husband David to arrange the music for his mother's funeral. Now the fraternity, she said, was "in a state of confusion at the announcement of his death." Both groups sang at his mother's funeral, where he was said to have sung beautifully, 'There is a Balm in Gilead.'
Dewar said that though he was a politician, he was also a very religious person who preached at the Kingston Methodist Church where he worshipped. He was also the conductor of the Joint Methodist Choir. (Miranda La Rose)

Cuban king of congas Tata Guines dead
HAVANA, Cuba (Reuters), February 5, 2008: "King of the Congas" Tata Guines, Cuba's most famous percussionist who shared the stage with Josephine Baker and Frank Sinatra half a century ago, died on Monday in Havana. He was 77.
Cuban state media reported that Guines, whose real name was Federico Aristides Soto, died of a kidney infection.
He was born in a poor black neighbourhood in the town of Guines, just east of Havana, and made his first bongo drums from sausage and condensed milk cans.
Guines became a legend playing the conga, a tall and narrow drum of Congolese origin brought to Cuba by African slaves. He performed with the top names in Cuban music like Arsenio Rodriguez, Chano Pozo, Bebo Valdes and Israel "Cachao" Lopez.
In 1957, Guines moved to New York where he jammed with jazz greats Dizzy Gillespie, Maynard Ferguson and Miles Davis at Birdland.
Guines stunned audiences with his driving Afro-Cuban beat by playing five congas and singing at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in a solo performance that put percussion at center stage.
Guines enjoyed celebrity and owned his own car, but never got used to life in the United State due to racial segregation, he said in an interview published last year.
"Fame did not extend beyond the stage. Once you left the stage, it was like the signs said: 'Whites only,"' he said.
Guines returned to Cuba in 1959 soon after Fidel Castro came to power in a leftist revolution that he helped fund with contributions from his earnings as a musician.
Like other Cuban musicians who returned to fame late in life through the Buena Vista Social Club recording, Guines enjoyed renewed success in 2004 playing congas on the Latin Grammy-winning "Lagrimas Negras" (Black Tears) by pianist Bebo Valdes and Spanish Flamenco singer Diego El Cigala.

Former JAMPRO Director Dead
CaribWorldNews, NEW YORK, NY, Mon. Feb. 4, 2008: Former director of the New York-based Jamaica Special Overseas Promotions Office, Desmond Blair Henry, is dead.
Henry passed away yesterday in Florida after a long illness, reports indicate. He was also director of tourism from 1976-80 and director of Air Jamaica and Trans Jamaica Limited.
Henry was also a former press attache to the Jamaican Embassy, Washington D.C. and managing director Public Relations Associates Limited; Group Promotions Manager, Desnoes and Geddes Limited, 1984-86 and Group Advertising and Public Relations Manager, I.C.W.I. Ltd.
He was born in Treasure Beach, St. Elizabeth in 1935 to the late Bernard Henry and Jemima Blair-Henry.
Henry was educated at the Pedro Plains Primary School, Cornwall College and Point Park College, Pittsburg, U.S. ­

Antigua Police Investigating Death Of Agriculture Minister
CaribWorldNews, ST. JOHN'S, Antigua, Fri. Feb. 2, 2008: Antigua police say they are investigating the death of Agriculture Minister Charlesworth Samuel even as officials await an autopsy.
Minister Samuel was found dead on a beach yesterday after having disappeared Tuesday. Police declined to say whether foul play is suspected. His fully-clothed body was discovered on Shell Beach, near his home on Cassada Gardens, on the outskirts of St John's, But reports indicate that the health of Samuel, 69, had deteriorated in recent years and he wandered off Tuesday.
Samuel was born on the 27th December 1944 in the Village of Swetes. He attended the All Saint's Government school. His professional life began as a surveyor trainee at the Public Works department. He began his teaching career in 1957 at the Swetes Government School. In 1964 received his first appointment as Headmaster at the John Hughes Primary School. In 1972, he graduated from The University of the West Indies with a Bachelor of Science Degree with a major in Physics.
He won the general elections of 1976 and 1980 in his present constituency. He lost the seat in 1984 and became the Senate's minority leader. His political career led him to study law in 1987. He received his LL.B from the Holborn Law School in England.
In 1990, Samuel entered the Hugh Wooding Law school in Trinidad and was awarded the Legal Education certificate of The Council of Legal Education of The West Indies after studying for two years.

Nunes made 'very valuable contribution' - PPP
Georgetown, Guyana, February 2nd 2008: Former member of the PPP cabinet in the 1960s, Cedric Vernon Nunes who passed away in Birmingham, UK on Wednesday made a "very valuable contribution to the PPP and to all Guyana," the party said in a press statement
The PPP said that it had learnt with great sadness the passing of one of its early leaders who came to prominence and was recognized as a national leader during the period 1961 to 1964 when he held the position of Minister of Education in the then PPP administration.
Under his guidance, the PPP said, educational opportunities expanded to many more Guyanese, particularly children of the working people and those in the interior areas.
It was during his time at the head of the education ministry that the University of Guyana was established allowing thousands of Guyanese to access tertiary education. And during the struggle for independence Nunes along with many other leaders and activists of the PPP was detained and spent years at Sibley Hall in the Mazaruni River.
The PPP said further that it was the years spent in detention that took a toll on his health and eventually forced him to emigrate.
He served the party at various levels from the grassroots up to the leadership and was chairman of the PPP for a short period. "Cedric Vernon Nunes made a very valuable contribution to the PPP and to all Guyana," the PPP stated.

Paul Quigley passes on
Toronto, Canada, January 28, 2008: Paul Quigley, age 60, passed away on January 13, 2008 in hospital in Toronto, Canada after living a productive life, and a life that has altered the course of film production for Grand Bahama Island. Quigley was director of The Bahamas Film Studios under the parent company Gold Rock Creek Enterprises. He was the man behind most of the negotiations and brought a wealth of film experience with a career of four decades under his belt. One of his biggest achievements was his producer credit behind the long running and award winning CBC and Disney Channel Danger Bay series, as well as the Road to Avonlea series. Born Paul Raymond Quigley in Ireland on January 27, 1947, he started his professional career on the London stage. He was also a recurring character in the TV series "The Saint" starring Roger Moore. Paul spent most of his later years living in Canada. He is survived by his fifteen year old daughter Cali; his life partner, Laura Dickson; his brother Michael Quigley, his sister Gay; and his mother Geraldine Quigley.
Quigley, one of the original partners and C.O.O. of Gold Rock Creek Enterprises, began negotiating with The Bahamas government seven years ago for a deal to lease the site of the decommissioned 3,500-acre US Air Force missile-tracking station built in 1951 on Grand Bahama Island, and finally in March 2005 the heads of agreement was signed to lease the property and build a $76 million dollar films studios that would include a film and television production centre, along with a water shooting stage, a post-production facility, as well as a music-recording studio, with specific other phases which would include a movie theme park, a water park, restaurants, retail stores, a historic Bahamian village and more. The Bahamas Film Studios was set to become a defining landmark in The Bahamas.
While the agreement was being signed, Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean II and III series was already casting for a film start date at the tank facility at the studio property of May 2005. To date, this is perhaps the longest film shoot ever done in The Bahamas, wrapping up after ten months in February 2006. This film would not have been done in The Bahamas had it not been for Disney's need of the Studios 'open-water filming enclosure' or "tank", as it is unique in the world. The two others in Mexico and Malta are large elevated pools.
The Bahamas Film Commissioner, Craig Woods, worked closely with Paul Quigley and offers this statement on behalf of The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism,
"The Ministry of Tourism and Bahamas Film and Television Commission are deeply saddened by the passing of Paul Quigley. He was a pillar of strength in the Film Community in Grand Bahama Island. As the principal developer of the Gold Rock Creek Film Studio, he was responsible for the execution of the Heads of Agreement with the Government of The Bahamas to build the studio, from its inception to final completion. Paul vigorously believed in the project as he put his entire life, love and energy behind it. His knowledge and zeal for the motion picture production business and potential for Grand Bahama Island will be missed. Heartfelt condolences are conveyed to his family, as they too showed a fondness for The Bahamas. May he rest in peace and may God's continued blessings and guidance go to his family."
Laura Dickson, Paul's life partner has this to say,
"It was Paul's dream to create an indigenous film industry in The Bahamas. It is my hope that some creative driven soul will step forward to help bring this dream to fruition."
Long time friend and colleague, Morgan O'Sullivan, of Ardmore Studios, Ireland, and Executive Producer of "The Tutors" and Film and Television Consultant to The Bahamas government says,
"I am deeply saddened by Paul's death. Paul was a wonderful torchbearer for the Bahamian film and television industry and he will be sadly missed.
Close friend and colleague of The Bahamas Film Studios, James Neil has this to say,
"In the four short years that I new him, Paul's demonstration of friendship, loyalty and generosity was without peer. He was a man that could be counted on to do what was right, even when it was costly to him personally. I considered Paul to be a very close friend and my wife and I will miss his company always. We extend our deepest condolences to his lovely wife and daughter. He was, as I am, an Irishman. We often spoke to each other in the brogue we were born with, especially when telling a joke. One of his favorite expressions was,
"I was looking throughout the place for you, and when I turned about, there you were, gone"
Michael Quigley, Paul's brother in Ireland said,
"The list of adjectives that could be used to describe him at any given time could run the full gamut from loving and giving, generous, talented, hard-working, capable, inspired, determined, to driven, and stubborn he had a life of many achievements, both personal and professional; a life and a career that enjoyed great respect and one that touched many people in many positive ways."
It is very interesting, and sad, that all three of the original founding partners in the enterprise have now passed on, those being Dutch-born tax attorney and financier Hans Schutte, who was also the CEO of Ashby Corporation; entertainment lawyer and officer of the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Michael Collyer; and Paul Quigley, with the fate of the Film Studios still undetermined. Quigley was removed from his directorship and the company under circumstances which are not still fully understood by the general public. He had been in court pursuing the recovery of his shares and financial losses in the company in fall of 2007, and his dealings in court were coming out in his favor before he was hospitalized. Who knew what the future held depending on a favorable outcome in court if he had lived on to pursue it to completion.
Paul Quigley may be gone, but his love for The Bahamas and his vision for a Film Studios for Grand Bahama Island will live on, even if it stops at the great accomplishment of the Disney production and the creation of the tank facility where the likes of actor Johnny Depp and director Gore Verbinski once worked. As Quigley believed, Grand Bahama Island does have all the right ingredients to make it in film: proximity, climate, space, infrastructure and more; but who will carry the torch now that Quigley is gone, and can they do it with the same amount of perseverance and fortitude? That is yet to be determined.

Musician's death a shock
Bridgetown, Barbados, January 27, 2008: BARBADOS' MUSIC INDUSTRY was plummeted into shock yesterday, after news broke that gifted jazz pianist Adrian Clarke had collapsed and died during a performance Friday night.
Clarke, one of this country's foremost musicians, had graced regional and international stages with the who's who of Caribbean jazz, and was doing what he loved most at the Waterfront Cafe in The City, Friday night.
According to one eyewitness, Clarke, 70, complained of feeling unwell minutes before collapsing on stage just before 11 p.m.
An ambulance was summoned but he died before attendants could attempt to resuscitate him.
He leaves to mourn his wife of 39 years, Claudette Clarke, as well as sons Julian, 37, and Graeme, 35.
Julian yesterday spoke fondly of a father who loved his music and loved to work his fingers on stage.
"Music was in his veins. Even when he wasn't playing the piano, he would always be tapping his feet or moving his hands. It was like music was always in his brain," Julian said from the family home in Warrens, St Michael.
"He was always playing music. We got a piano recently and he would light up the house with his performances. We will miss that," he added.
Clarke retired as secretary of the Central Bank of Barbados almost seven years ago, but remained active on stage, performing at numerous events across Barbados.
His last major local performance was in 2005, when he and singers Tamara Marshall and Janelle Headley performed at the Barbados Jazz Festival .
"We are shocked and surprised at his death. We saw no symptoms of anything before this," Julian said. "But the family is calm. We are shocked and surprised, but we are holding."
Clarke was also the brother of renowned surgeon Michael "Spotty" Clarke, who died in 2001.

Belizean Musician Andy Palacio Passes Away After Heart Attack and Stroke
Belmopan, Belize, January 19, 2008: Andy Palacio, an iconic musician and cultural activist in his native Belize and impassioned spokesperson for the Garifuna people of Central America, was declared dead tonight at 9pm Belize time due to a massive and extensive stroke to the brain, a heart attack and respiratory failure due to the previous two conditions.
Palacio, 47, started feeling poorly last week and eventually visited a doctor with complaints of dizziness and blurred vision. On the 16th of January, he began experiencing seizures and was rushed to a hospital in Belmopan, Belize and then on to another hospital in Belize City. At this point, most people were hopeful Palacio would recover.
On January 17th, Palacio's condition worsened and he began experiencing more seizures. He was placed on an air ambulance to Chicago where he was expected to get treatment at one of the premier neurological facilities in the country. En route to Chicago, the plane stopped in Mobile, Alabama to clear immigration. At that point, Palacio was unconscious and it was determined that he was too ill to continue on the flight to Chicago. He was rushed to a hospital in Mobile, and placed on life support. There, doctors determined that the damage to his brain function was severe, and that his chances of recovery were slim. On January 18th, his family requested that he be flown back to Belize so that he might die in his homeland.
A national hero in Belize for his popular music and advocacy of Garifuna language and culture, news of Palacio's condition sent shockwaves through the community. At 5pm today, a public service was held in Belize City for Palacio as people prayed for his recovery. Ceremonies were also held by Garifuna spiritual leaders in an effort to help with the situation. Belize is in the midst of a heated election, but the local news was entirely dominated by Palacio's health crisis.
The reaction has also been strong around the world. Until the recent turn of events, the past year had been one of tremendous accomplishment for Palacio as his album Wátina, which was released at the beginning of 2007, had become one of the most critically acclaimed recordings of the year in any genre. Perhaps the most unanimously revered world music album in recent memory, Wátina appeared on dozens of Best of the Year lists in major media outlets around the globe and was roundly praised in glowing terms.
In 2007, Palacio was named a UNESCO Artist for Peace and won the prestigious WOMEX Award. Wátina was also nominated for the BBC Radio 3 World Music Awards. At home in Belize, the international success of Wátina has sparked a revival of Garifuna music, as young musicians have become inspired by Palacio's example. Even in the days since Palacio's health crisis began, the accolades have continued to pour in for his work.
That Palacio has been struck down at a moment of such international acclaim only increases the sense of shock and tragedy felt at his sudden and untimely death.
Andy Palacio will be honored with an official state funeral. A massive tribute concert is planned in Belize City on Friday, January 25th.
Friends and supporters are invited to post messages in memory of Andy Palacio to his MySpace page ( as well as to the blog of his international record label Cumbancha (

Dr. Curtis McMillan dies
Nassau, Bahamas, January 13, 2008: Dr. Curtis Clifford McMillan, a member of the first Progressive Liberal Party (PLP) Cabinet formed following the historic January 10, 1967, General Election, died yesterday at the age of 74.
Renowned for his many contributions to the progress of dental care in The Bahamas, Dr. McMillan, who reportedly was not ill at the time, died suddenly.
He was also recognized as a community and civic-minded individual who was a member of the Nassau Bridge and Chess Clubs and was once the vice-president of the Bahamas Educational, Social and Cultural Association.
Dr. McMillan's journey into politics began in 1964 when he decided to follow his desire and join the PLP in its struggle against the United Bahamian Party (UBP) for ' Majority Rule' in The Bahamas. Eager for this movement to become a reality, Dr. McMillan joined the hundreds of PLP supporters who lobbied hard for the party to win and, when the race was over, he was elected to the House of Assembly as the representative for Fort Charlotte constituency.
Following the PLP's victory in the 1967 general elections, Dr. McMillan was appointed the first Minister of Communications, which included the airport, maritime affairs and telecommunications. His most significant accomplishment during this time was the appointment of architects and engineers to design the present Post Office on East Hill Street.
He was eventually appointed Minister of Health, but later resigned that portfolio and became one of the famous ' Dissident Eight' who formed the 'Free PLP' that eventually became the Free National Movement (FNM).
After losing in the next general elections in 1972, Dr. McMillan returned to private life and dentistry.
Upon hearing the news of Dr. McMillan's passing, Prime Minister Hubert Ingraham immediately issued a public statement noting that he and his colleagues were shocked and saddened by the sudden death of a man who had made significant contributions to the political development of the country.
"Our party and the nation have lost a great Bahamian whose courage in a time of challenge contributed significantly to historic changes in our country,"
Prime Minister Ingraham said. "He was one of that celebrated band of patriots who were elected in 1967 to usher in majority rule, and one of those who, in 1970, placed everything on the line once again to ensure the survival of our multi-party parliamentary democracy."
The Prime Minister pointed out that it was only a few months ago that Dr. McMillan had witnessed the fulfillment of his dream of establishing a modern, state-of-the-art health care facility in Nassau.
"Dr. McMillan not only made significant contributions to the political development of the country, he was also a successful entrepreneur and an innovator in his chosen profession," the Prime Minister said. "My colleagues and I join the rest of the nation in extending our sincerest condolences to Mrs. McMillan, their children and the extended family. May he rest in peace."
Dr. McMillan's dream to make affordable dentistry available to all Bahamians came to fruition with the establishment of Dent Plan Ltd. which was the first
Health Magazine Organization (HMO) in The Bahamas. Dent Plan still provides dental and dental hygiene scholarships to deserving Bahamians.
Because of public demand for a medical equivalent of Dent-Plan, Dr. McMillan and his son Dr. Curtis O. McMillan Jr., a Harvard-trained healthcare economist established Med-Plan.
Dr. McMillan commenced the design and construction of the recently-opened MedDent Co. Health Center ­ a multi-specialty, three-story complex which offers the services of physicians, dentists, a surgery center, a laboratory, a pharmacy and an eye clinic.
Dr. McMillan was a dental surgeon born in Nassau on February 26, 1933 at McQuay Street off Nassau Street. He was educated at the Quarry Mission School, Smith's School and the Bahamas Academy Seventh day Adventist School. He was the first Bahamian to graduate from The West Indies College in Jamaica which he did in 1956, and the first Bahamian to graduate from Pacific Union College in California where he graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Biology. He then returned home where he taught science at Bahamas Academy. This was the first of many contributions he made to Bahamian society.
From 1959 to 1962, he attended Howard University College of Dentistry. He later completed his internship at Guggenheim Dental Clinic in New York.
Dr. McMillan became a strong socialite in those days and eventually married the former Thelma Stirling. They have three children: Dr. C.O. McMillan, M.D. and
Anesthesiologist; Shelly D. McMillan, J.D. (Doctor of Jurisprudence); and Jo Allyson McMillan-Steinwall, Ph.D. in Engineering. Dr. and Mrs. McMillan also have three grandsons: Owen, Dana and Allistair.

Farewell, my brother-Terry Joseph's life celebrated
Port of Spain, T&T, January 12th 2008: THE CELEBRATION of the life of cultural icon and journalist extraordinaire Terry Joseph yesterday was as he would have wanted it, with the sounds of the local music he loved and championed, and the voices of the people he loved and cherished.
Express Editor-at-Large Keith Smith, in his tribute, noted that Joseph's life in journalism was not as long as people think, but that he had mastered it and was one of the greatest headline writers in this country.
He recalled that Joseph was such an expert on steelband, mas and calypso, that people from all corners of the world would be referred to him for information on the art forms.
"It is not an easy task for me to stand up and talk about the departure of my best friend," said Smith, his voice breaking and tears filling his eyes.
Smith recalled that as he was approached by people on the street or in Laventille, where Joseph is originally from, the majority would imitate his deep voice as they reminisced about him.
About 300 mourners attended the service held at the Marvin Lee Stadium, Joao Havelange Centre of Excellence, Macoya, and in the stands and under three large white tents on the field decorated with patriotic streamers.
Joseph, 60, died on January 2 at his home in Douglasville, Georgia, US, following a long battle with cancer. He travelled many miles unwell on December 23, 2007, to spend his final days with his wife Dr Laini Gilliam-Joseph.
In an impromptu eulogy, Gilliam-Joseph noted that it had been a privilege to marry him twice, quipping that she was either "a fool or really in love".
She pointed out that for him to make the journey to see her last month in all his pain confirmed that he truly loved her.
She noted that she brought his body back to Trinidad despite the expense because "my husband loved his country and his countrymen. He had to come back home in the end".
Gilliam-Joseph was dressed in a bright peach and green dress and explained that her husband celebrated life and liked his wife "in living colour" and not the traditional widow black.
FIFA vice president and Chaguanas West MP Jack Warner, who Joseph was known for spending hours with chatting about football, said he had lost one of his greatest friends with Joseph's death and described him as one of the "most wonderful human beings he had ever met".
Also bringing memorials were Garth Giuseppi, of Carnival band Rabs Immortelle, of which Joseph was a founder, National Carnival Bands Association (NCBA) secretary Wrenwrick Brown, president of Pan Trinbago Patrick Arnold, National Carnival Commission chairman Keston Nancoo and Harvard club vice president William Pierre.
President of the Trinidad and Tobago Unified Calysponians' Organisation, Michael Leggerton, recalled that Joseph had written several articles about calysponians, some with a lot of venom.
But he noted that after meeting the writer they initially wanted to hate, they would instead admire, respect and "if you stayed around him long enough, to love him".
Minister of State in the Ministry of Community Development, Donna Cox, said Joseph would be remembered for his dedicated service and passionate contribution to the local art form.
"The nation as a whole would be poorer without Terry Joseph," she said.
Joseph was remembered for his warmth, spontaneity, biting sense of humour, sarcastic wit, as a great drinker, cultured style and class, fairness, brutal honesty, strength and courage, and for being an indefatigable worker, "a giant of a man and a cultural warrior".
During the celebration there were performances by the Laventille Rhythm Section, Lord Superior, Lydian Singers, Brother Resistance, singer Mavis John accompanied by Grammy-award winning percussionist Ralph MacDonald and veteran steelband arranger Pelham Goddard.
Among those who attended were Senator Wade Mark, Opposition Senator Tim Gopeesingh, former Trade and Industry Minister Kenneth Valley, Mayaro MP and ex-calysponian Winston "Gypsy" Peters, former Minister in the Culture Ministry Eddie Hart and Parang impresario Holly Betaudier.
For the final tribute, Roy Cape All Stars and steelband Sagicor Exodus performed "Memories" by The Mighty Sparrow.
As Joseph's casket was being carried into the hearse, the pall bearers danced and sang to the calypso music and some beat a tune on the casket. His body was then removed for a private cremation.

Poet Roi Kwabena falls to lung cancer
London, UK, January 12, 2008: Trinidadian-born Roi Ankhara Kwabena, formerly Fitzroy Cook Jr, has died in London after battling lung cancer.
Kwabena died on Wednesday. He would have been 52 in July.
Kwabena had been included in the list of history's greatest black achievers. He was a former T&T senator and once Poet Laureate of Birmingham-2001-2002.
Kwabena was a poet, musician, publisher, historian and cultural activist.
Kwabena will be cremated in London. He had requested that his ashes be thrown in the Mayaro waters.

Goodridge passes away in hospital
Bridgetown, Barbados, December 29, 2007: FORMER PRINCIPAL of Codrington College and retired head of the Anglican Church in the Windward Islands, Bishop Sehon Goodridge, is dead.
His son Stephen said he died at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital early yesterday morning of a heart attack following a brief illness.
Goodridge, 70, was appointed principal of Codrington College in 1971 at a time when there was discussion about its viability and suggestions it should probably be closed.
Anglican Bishop of Barbados Dr John Holder, in paying tribute to Goodridge, said it was "with great creativity and strong determination he transformed Codrington into a vibrant institution. Those of us who were at Codrington during his years as principal will be ever grateful for the vision of the Church, and indeed the world, that he imparted to us.
"He trained a generation of students who are now the leaders of the Anglican Church in the Province of the West Indies."
Holder remembered the former head of Codrington College as a good scholar.
"Those of us who were his students will always remember his scholarly insights that led us to think creatively about the issues of the Church and the world. His publications capture these gifts of his, gifts that he was always willing and ready to share. He will be greatly missed by all," said Bishop Holder.
Goodridge worked at the Cave Hill Campus of the University of the West Indies where he served as warden at one stage. He also served as principal of the College of Simon of Cyrene in England, and as bishop of the Windward Islands from 1994 to 2005.
He grew up in St James and attended Coleridge and Parry School before entering the sixth form at Harrison College.
Goodridge is survived by his wife Janet, his children Stephen, Rachael and Elizabeth, and his grandchildren.

Cultural icon Winston Jordan passes on
Bridgetown, Barbados, December 23, 2007: WINSTON JORDAN , visual artist, cartoonist, costume designer, songwriter and calypso aficionado, died yesterday after a battle with diabetes. He was 58.
Born September 15, 1949, the man who represented through his illustrations and costumes the unique Bajan traditions and foibles of his time, passed away in the wee hours of yesterday morning at his Collymore Rock, St Michael home.
His mother, Elaine Lawrence, said nothing seemed out of the ordinary when the creator of Bajan Bellylaff and the popular Jones comic character returned home and chatted with her, after completing his usual session at the haemo-dialysis unit on Friday night.
His son, Winslow, 26, also a talented artist and songwriter, said after arriving home around 11:30 p.m. and going to bed, he heard his father coughing shortly before 3 a.m.
"I then heard him making his way through the house in the darkness. Shortly afterwards I heard a commotion in the passageway. I got up and went to him and he was propping against the ironing board. He told me he wasn't feeling well," Winslow recalled.
He said while helping his dad to the bathroom, Winston's knees buckled.
"I said: 'Dad, talk to me,' and he said he was feeling really weak. He was also having trouble breathing. From the time he said that, he rocked back. I had never seen my father like that, so I immediately called the ambulance and they gave me instructions over the phone. This happened quickly, in about five or six minutes," he told the SUNDAY SUN .
By the time the ambulance arrived, his father was dead, said Winslow, who was working on an album ironically called Winston's Son , featuring the title track with Winston and him on vocals.
"He would write songs and tell me afterwards that when he wrote them he had me in mind," added Winslow, who performs under the stage name of Ruby Tech .
Jordan is survived by his daughter, Tricia Jordan, 29, and Winston, Junior, 28, who both reside in the United States, and by his father Lionel Stuart, who lives in Canada. (RJ)